Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 10

It got pretty chilly last night, and it was my turn to sleep on the lower bed in case Brett woke up, and of course he did because he was freezing. Once we warmed each other up a bit, he quickly fell back asleep in the bed with me. He's been getting up at about 6 every morning, and today was no different. We wanted to get an early start on the day so we could make it all the way to the Grand Canyon. I went into the the grocery store at the KOA to try to find a hat for Brett and they had a Keurig coffee machine!! I stopped and stared at it for a minute in awe before brewing myself a delicious cup! It was just what a needed. It put me in the best mood for the rest of the day!

The drive up to Mesa Verde National Park was of course really long up a huge mountain. It was about 20 miles to the visitors center where we got to hike down to one of the cave dwellings. We first watched a quick video about the park before hiking down to the ruins. So amazing the way people lived here and then one day just left. We'll never know why, just speculation.



Back down the mountain, George and Renee back in the Yukon, we headed west again towards the 4 corners. The only spot in the US where 4 states come together. Lance wanted to go so bad even though we knew it was a dump. On approaching the border, I saw the sign that said it was closed for reconstruction. I was kind of glad. I didn't want my kids sitting on the ground for a picture where lots of people pee in 4 states at once.

We filled up at almost every gas station we saw because we didn't know how far it would actually be till we saw another one. Eastern Arizona is very desolate. And hot! I had to pray a few times that the motor home wouldn't over heat. And thank God, it didn't. We did come across a Sonic and picked up food for dinner, again, because we didn't know if we would actually be near food when dinner time came around. I'm kind of glad we did because we actually had food when the kids were ready to eat.

We came to the intersection where we were going to leave off the Yukon and there turned out to be a small camping area which worked out for us because we hadn't decided yet where we were going to find camp. They didn't have shower or bathroom facilities but they did have power and water hookups which is all we really needed. They told up there was a gas station up the road that had showers if we needed them.

We headed up the hill about 40 miles to the Grand Canyon National Park. Another place that if you have never been, you must go see. The pictures just never do it justice. Its so amazing to look out and see down for a mile. It felt like my eyes couldn't even focus on how far down the ground was. Its an indescribable feeling. We watched the sun set on the Grand Canyon and watched as God painted the rocks with beautiful hues of green, orange, red, and purple. My camera just didn't do it justice. I'm just going to keep having to say that because its just something you have to experience for yourself.







Kids in their pj's, we headed down back to camp. I laid down my head and thanked God for creating such magnificent landscape for us to enjoy and also prayed that Brett would sleep through the night.

No comments: